Wednesday 10 April 2013

It's the little things...


For a quarter of a year now, I have been filming one second of video footage each day to create a video that is about 1.5 minutes long. I've been doing it using an app on my phone called "1 Second Everyday" which a friend pointed me to. More information can be found at here.

I have loved this experience. The product (a video, below) is cool enough, but the process is why I've loved it. Each day – except the two I missed – I have had to ask the question, 'What about today would I like to remember?' And it's made me realise how many small moments, seemingly insignificant interactions and tiny events there are in life. There are things that happened two months ago I would probably have forgotten about if it weren't for making this video. There are things I have appreciated doing more because I've been doing them with the attitude of 'this is worth remembering'.

It's cool!

The little things matter

I've also been reading Acts recently. It has some pretty massive events in it. Jesus' ascension. The coming of the Spirit at Pentecost. Healing. Miracles. Teaching. Community. Martyrdom. Paul's conversion. Huge decisions. Journeys. Arguments. Shipwrecks. Paul being hauled up before important men and women. Big moments. Big events. Important times.

We mustn't forget all of those moments, of course. But as I was reading today, as Paul is under guard waiting for his fate to be determined, this verse jumped out:
'When two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus, but because Felix wanted to grant a favour to the Jews, he left Paul in prison.' (Acts 24:27)
When TWO YEARS had passed?! I thought Acts was meant to be this roller-coaster ride of non-stop action. And lots of it is. But it happened over a long period of time, and God was at work during those two years of nothing (followed by a decision to leave Paul exactly where he was) just as much as He was when 3,000 were added to the church after just one sermon (Acts 2:41).

Paul knew that, and he didn't just sit there during that time. He made use of his involuntary hiatus.

I often think too much about the big things. The events in the life of a church (or my life) that change everything all at once. But in between those epoch-making moments come a million other moments which matter just as much. I need to learn to relish them, to use them, to trust God with them, to really live in them instead of just waiting for the next big thing to happen.

It's not the big things that make life big. It's the little things.

And I'm grateful to '1 Second Everyday' for helping me to do remember that.

My Last Three Months:

And now, my video. Enjoy!





If you liked this post, please share using the buttons below. Also, you can subscribe by email in the box to the right to get all future posts by email. Thanks for reading!

5 comments :

  1. Haha cannot get over that one second of Beth and I - what crazy faces!

    Thought provoking message. Relating to the notion that little things make a big difference it is interesting to consider the work of Jesus and the miracles. Often followers witnessed, and the bible focuses on, 'big' miracles like the feeding of the 5,000 as you have said. It would be interesting to understand more of Jesus' 'little' rather then 'big' moments.

    Now I just wish I had an iPhone not a Blackberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what all Blackberry owners wish deep deep down...


    Yeah, I'd be interested to know more about the life of Jesus, the little moments and interactions He had. There must have been plenty of quieter days, small chats and shared moments during His three years of ministry. Still, one day we'll get to see Him face to face and know first hand what those moments with Him feel like forever. Which is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot of footage of me sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much... they only need to accept the iPod.

    Indeed, that is pretty pretty cool. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...